Berkshire North WIC is a Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants and Children. WIC is a nutrition program that provides nutrition and health education, healthy food, breastfeeding education and support and other services free of charge.
Overview of Program
WIC’s goal is to help keep pregnant and breastfeeding women, infants and children under 5 years old healthy.
To do this, WIC provides the following services:
- Personalized nutrition consultations
- Checks to buy free, healthy food
- Tips for eating well to improve health
- Referrals for medical and dental care, health insurance, child care, housing and fuel assistance, and other services that can benefit the whole family
- Issuance of Farmer’s Market Checks in the summer.
WIC also offers immunization screenings and referrals, breastfeeding support and nutrition and health workshops on a variety of topics including meal planning, maintaining a healthy weight, picky eaters, caring for a new baby, and shopping on a budget.
Women who are pregnant can receive WIC benefits before they see their obstetrician. WIC also provides benefits for 6 months for postpartum women who have miscarried.
Visited 615 times, 1 Visits today